BMW Car Designers

BMW Car Designers throughout history

In the beginning of the automotive history, car styling – shaping of cars body, used colors and materials, seemed not the most important. Luxury of cars interior and mechanical reliability was essential. It is only at the end of the 1920s, that car producers realized how important the form of a car is, how strong emotions of desire and fulfillment well designed car may bring. Exterior design dominated above the interior. Driver wanted to see his car form outside and driving feel a part of it. Cars began to express their owners. This is how the automotive design came to life.

Dawn of the Automotive Design before 1930: People who influenced the BMWs car design

French engineer and industrialist born in Paris; already as a boy of 12 he had his own workshop in Belleville; also an inventor (among his 120 patented inventions are table football – although this credit is disputed, bicycle lights and stainless steel bolts); a smart businessman – Rosengart helped off Citroen and Peugeot before and in 1927 he bought with another engineer Jules Salomon an old car factory in Neuilly, to build his own car based on British Austin 7 called LR2; soon after Rosengart was called upon by BMW to modernize Dixi 3/15 also based on Austin 7; the car has been called BMW 3/15 type DA2 (German:Deutsche Ausfhrung)1929; it had bigger windows, changed radiator and more space inside. The BMW slogan was:Bigger inside than on the outside;sedan, coupe, cabrio (convertible) and roadster were produced

Rosengart went later to produce his own development from Austin 7 called LR4 and from 1931, French versions of German Adler cars; his built in 1938 Supertraction was a 2-door sports cabrio with a kidneys like front grille; Rosengart spent the war in the USA and his factory did not produce cars during the time, after the WWII, he returned to France and tried to launch a new small car – Ariette (1947-1954) and a bigger modern break – Vivor (1950-1955); production at Rosengart factory near Paris ceased in 1955; apart from cars he produced also yachts at his shipyards in Villefranche-sur-Mer, Cte dAzur; Rosengart died in Nice; today, the city of Plerin (at Saint-Brieuc, Brittany) has a street named after him; in 1992 theMuseum Rosenqartopened in Bedburg-Rath, North-Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, apart from the cars he built and memorabilia the museum has in its collection the original drawings by Rosenqart

final assembly hall of the BMW 3/15 in Berlin in 1929; Lucien Rosengart and Peugeot 181b mass produced car which had also an amphibian version designed by Rosengart; (1928) Lucien Rosengart in 1932 – a portrait by Eduard Vuillard, oil (fragment), private coll. Rosengarts initials on a wheel hub on the car he was building Rosengart LR4 N2 from 1932, with the max. speed of 80 km/h, but the brakes only on its rear wheels Rosengart Automobiles logo with an L joining T LR 500 from 1934 built on a license from Adler (model Trumpf Jupiter), now in the Rosengart Museum collection, the story goes that he produced this car because the woman he loved described his version of Austin Seven as a soap box -it is difficult not to observe how similar was this car to the Bertonis Citron Traction Avant (also from 1934); Renault Juvaqautre 49 Taxi by Lucien Rosengart (1948)

never a BMW designer, Paul Jaray wielded vast influence on BMW designs of 1930-ties; born of Hungarian-Jewish descent in Vienna as one of five children of Adolf Jaray, a merchant, in the family which originated in then Hungarian city ofTemesvr(Austro-Hungarian Empire, today in Romania: Timioara), his grandfather Sigmund Jaray (born Sigmund Jeitteles) was a successful interior designer and furniture manufacturer in Vienna, his older brother Sandor a sculptor; Paul Jaray was educated at Realschule in Vienna and after studies in Maschinenbauschule, he worked shortly for the aircraft builder Flugzeugbau Keller& Wouwermans, Vienna and later at the Prague Technical University, where he was an assistant to Professor Rudolf Drfl (1855-1938); Jarays first patents are from this period; he worked later as the chief design engineer for the aircraft builder Flugzeugbau inFriedrichshafenand from 1915 at Luftschiffbau Zeppelin; Jaray invented a new construction bicycle calledJ-rad, with front wheel smaller and moved forward, after about 2000 ofJ-radswere produced (1922-1923), the production had been halted because of serious accidents caused by braking of the longer than in other bikes fork of the bicycle (caused by cheaper but faulty steel used), some of theJ-rad bicyclesare still in use – mostly in the Netherlands; after this affair Jaray moved permanently to Switzerland opening an office in Brunnen (1923); in 1927 he founded the firmStromlinien Karosserie Gesellschaft, which created numerous designs for a streamlined body for already established car producers of all big names; after the WWII he lectured at Eidgenssische Technische Hochschule (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology),Zurich, died in St. Gallen in Switzerland.

Jaray collaborated with Dixi in Eisenach, before the factory has been taken over by BMW: it is there that he build his one person aerodynamic car prototype incorporating his original streamlining ideas patented in 1922; most of Jarays prototypes were later built by Alfred Ley at Rudolf Ley Maschinenfabrik AG in Arnstadt (Thuringia)

Hanis and Peer – children of Paul Jaray at one of his bicycles J-Rad, 1922 DiXi prototype from 1923 with body by Jaray (built by Glser in Dresden, picture from the book by Horst Ihling, Autos aus Eisenach, Motorbuch Verlag, Stuttgart, 1999) drawing from the Jarays 1922 patent Jarays car built by Alfred Ley, ca 1925 and its patent drawings Paul Jaray at the presentation of Maybach SW 35 in 1935 (third from the left, with a sheet of paper in hands)

German designer of Hungarian-Jewish descent, born in Budapest of German father and Hungarian mother, Ganz has been activein the 1920s and 1930s and had an important contribution for the ideas of the time; he has been contracted by BMW in July of 1931 as a consultant and participated in the creation of thefirst version (so called AM1 -Ausfhrung Mnchen) ofBMW 3/20(1932)

already in the 1920s Ganz had originated an ideaof the cheap car in Germany andMaikfer(in German: May Beetle) he designed for Adler, and another one calledStandard Superiordesigned in 1931 for Standard(owner: Wilhelm Gutbrod) looked like a prototype of and was called in the adverts of 1934 asVolkswagen; arrested by Gestapo in May of 1933 under trump up charges of tax fraud and released in June 1934, Ganz emigrated to Switzerland, he lived laterin France (after 1949) and Australia;

his ideas from the years 1930s were developed by Tatra cars and also by the Nazis in their Peoples Car project

Ganz and Jaray in Maikfer, 1928 photo comes frombook_project.htm. Standard Superior 1933 * advert from 1934

one of the most important figures behind the establishment of the BMW brand: Fritz Fiedler was born in Potsdam,studied atTechnische Hochschule Charlottenburg (Berlin), after studies worked as a constructor atDeutschen Kraftfahrzeugwerken, Berlin, he became a chief constructor for the car maker Stoewer in then German city of Szczecin (Gebrder Stoewer, Fabrik fr Motorfahrzeuge, Stettin) and later, after a short period as the chief constructor at Horch in Zwickau, Fritz Fiedler went to BMW (1932) to become the head of the BMW car development in the 1930s – at the time when BMW 303 (1933), BMW 315 (1934), BMW 326 (1936) and the legendary BMW 328 (1936) were built

after the WWII, while Germany has been divided into four occupation zones and BMW was not permitted to produce cars, Fritz Fiedler worked from 1945 in England helping to produce Bristol 400, which was derived from BMW 327 (German engineer was called thereDr. Fiedler); upon his return to Germany in 1949,he went to Opel where he was a chief constructor and later, in early 1950s Fiedler returned again to BMW: he was responsible for the engine development, became one of the creators ofthe Neue Klasse(see below Hofmeister) and went to be the BMW AG chairman 1955-1956, he retired in 1971

a constructor and an inventor, Rudolf Schleicher had an important influence on the BMW cars of the 1930s; as a young engineer he came in 1922 to Munich and from 1923 he had been already responsible for the motorcycle development at BMW, he won several races as the factory motorcycle rider; he left in 1927 for Horch and returned in 1932 to BMW

Schleicher constructed 6 cyl. (straight six) engines for BMW and worked closely with Fiedler in the 1930s contributing to the novel construction of the BMW cars of that era, some of the updated versions of the engines designed by Schleicher in the 1930s remained in production until early 1960s; in the late 1930s, Schleicher was the head of the BMW Racing Dept.

during the WWII Schleicher led the massive BMW motorcycle production (car production at BMW stopped in 1942 because of the Germanys war effort) and BMW motorcycles were widely in use by Wehrmacht on all fronts of German campaigns; after the war he established his own firm producing car components (as camshafts):Schleicher Fahrzeugteile GmbH & Co. KGin Munich

(sometimes also spelled as Schimanowski) German designer of Polish descent, a mechanical engineer by training, Szymanowski came to BMW from Horch; he was the head of the car body design at BMW in the mid-1930s and early 1940s (thus from 1937 under Wilhelm Meyerhuber – see below) and after the WWII the head of the design at BMW (see below)

Szymanowski is credited for theBMW 328body design – one of the first cars tested for its aerodynamics in a wind tunnel; BMW cars of the late 1930s were ahead of their time both technically and aesthetically; Szymanowski designed also BMW 319 and 326 and later working under Meyerhuber ( see below)Szymanowski designed the body for the BMW 327

acontemporary drawing of BMW 328, one of the icons of the brand engineered by Fritz Fiedler with the body by Szymanowski BMW 326 design from 1936 – according to some sources the first car designed by Szymanowski using the wind tunnel

son of the known painter and sculptor August Meyerhuber and grandson of of Karlsruhe city bronze caster and stone sculptor in the third generation, Wilhelm Meyerhuber spent most of his life there (in theRppurrarea); Wilhelm Meyerhuber was like his father a painter by training

Meyerhuber started his designers career at Opel – he stayed for some time in the US at the General Motors; he came to BMW in 1937, he became the head of the newly created in 1938 BMW design department; he then proclaimed the first artistic car design program – he called it Knstlerische Gestaltung (Artistic Creating); BMWformed at the time design bureaus in Hamburg and Kthen (Saxony) employing 20 designers; in the years 1939-1940 prototypes were built of the upper segment cars BMW 332 and BMW 337 and shown to the public in 1940, in the years 1940-1942 the first clay model of the car scaled 1:1 has been made forthe newly developed BMW 385, these cars were not produced because of the WWII

an artist himself, Meyerhuber understood importance of design in the automotive industry, apart from the cars which were finally not produced, he is credited for the ahead of its time design of the BMW 328 Mille Miglia roadster

after the war, Meyerhuber returned to Karlsruhe and worked as an artist, he died in 1978 and was buried in the family grave at the Hauptfriedhof Cemetery in Karlsruhe.

BMW design department in the 1930s a scale model of the BMW 337 today in the BMW Museum in Munich Peter Szymanowski ?, Wilhelm Meyerhuber and a model-builder Karl Schmuck at the BMW 385 project (1940) Wilhelm Meyerhuber and Karl Schmuck at the BMW 328 Mille Miglia roadster (1940) BMW 328 Mille Miglia Roadster calledBgelfalte(Trouser Crease) because of the lines along the top of body fenders on both sides (picture from

German pioneer of aerodynamics born inBasel(Switzerland) moved as a child to Germany because of illness of his mother; after a degree in engineering followed by doctoral studies, he worked at Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft (1922-1925), Schwabische Huttenwerke (1925) and the German Aviation Test Centre (1926-1930). In 1930, Kamm became Professor of Power Engineering and Vehicle Engines at Stuttgart Technical University, where he founded the Research Institute for Power Engineering and Vehicle Engines Stuttgart (FKFS), which allowed him to carry out research of aerodynamics,where Kamm-cars were produced: research cars with streamlined shape for the low air resistance; four experimental cars were produced between 1938 and 1944, two of them based on the BMW mechanics BMW K1 (1938) and BMW K4 (1940)

Kamm discovered in 1934 and published a paper about it, that a cut off butt of the car body favors its aerodynamics by increasing down force and reducing drag therefore increasing cars speed; today, the cut off rear of the car is often called the Kamm-back orthe Kamm-butt, the idea was patented by Kamms collaborator – Reinhard von Koenig-Fachsenfeld in 1936 in Germany and in 1944 in the US (see below)

together with von Koenig-Fachsenfeld, Wunibald Kamm built in 1938 a car based upon BMW 328 – BMW K1 usually calledKamm-Coupe, two cars based on Mercedes 170V and after them in 1940, BMW K4, called also thesecond Kamm-Coupe, a smaller, lower car, with airplane-like plexiglass (PMMA) tails

interned in after the WW II by the French, Kamm was handed over to Americans and taken for 10 years to the US, where he continued his research, upon his return to Germany in 1955, Kamm lectured at the German branch of the Battelle Institute in Frankfurt am Main until 1958, when he retired because of poor health; died in Stuttgart

first Kamm experimental car built in FKFS FKFS badge (picture from Kamm s BMW 328 Coupe Mille Miglia built by Carozzeria Touring, Milan, 1940 (modern reconstruction)with the characteristic Kamm-back Wunibald Kamm in the 1950-ties Kamm s BMW K4 Coupe with plexiglass tails

German aristocrat born in Stuttgart, educated at the Gymnasium in Stuttgart and the Technical University there; as a young man he was a race car and speed record driver, working at the same time as an aerodynamics engineer to improve car performance; Koenig-Fachsenfeld worked first at Zeppelin (1924), but after Paul Jaray had already left, later mainly for Mercedes on their record making cars of the 1930s.

Koenig-Fachsenfelddesigned the body of the famous BMW 328 Wendler Stromlinie Coupe, the car he built in 1937 for the industrialist from Rosenheim Hans Klepper with the Wendler in-house coach builder-designer – Helmut Schwandner; Wendlers Stromlinie Coupe of which probably only two existed, incorporates revolutionary ideas of Alfred Jaray

Fachsenfeld patented the ideas he worked on with Wunibald Kamm in in 1936 in Germany, and filed in 1937 for patent in the US, finally receiving it only in 1944

in summer of 1938, Koenig-Fachsenfeld tested aprototype Everling built together with Professor of aerodynamics Wunibald Kamm (see above) based upon Mercedes 170V and in 1940 a light chassis version of BMW 328 – K3. This so-calledKamm-Coupe, it was based on the chassis of328 model, Kamm-Coupe had adrag coefficientof only 0.25 compared tothe 1940 BMW 328 Touring Mille Miglia Coupe with coefficient 0.35, and most of todays cars rate above 30, a newer version of this car was built in 1940 for a race Berlin – Rome which never took place amazes with its form; in 1939 Koenig-Fachsenfelddesigned for the tire company Fulda the test car to test the tires at high speed, which achieved the speed of 240km/h; designed by Fachsenfeld for K.C.Volkert, Sagitta V2 messenger car from 1944 shares VW type 60 mechanics and runs 160 km/h – looks like a Porsche except for the Koenig-Fachsenfeld signature – a third lamp in the middle of the cars front

being the last descendant of an ancient family, Koenig-Fachsenfeld established in 1982 a foundation opening his 16thC. castle in AalenBaden-Wrttemberg)to the series of annual cultural events called Koenigswege, which are still held each year throughout the summer

BMW 328 Wendler Stromlinie Coupe from 1937 top view with a characteristic Wendler Cheese-grater front grille Fachsenveld in 1980-ties Fulda test car (1939)drawings for the 1937/1944 US patent and the so called BMW Kamm-Coupe -from 1940, please look at the windshield Porsche-like Sagitta V2 from 1944 side view and a typical for Fachsenfeld third front lamp solution (today at thePrototyp Museumin Hamburg

already before the war Szymanowski worked as a body stylist for BMW ( see above);

in late 1948 Szymanowski returned to BMW, he was one of the pioneers of the reconstruction of the German car industry after the WWII, he soon became the BMW chief designer (1949-1955); he designed BMW 501 and 502and a prototype of the small car never produced called E331

in his beautifuldesigns Szymanowski drew heavily from the BMW pre-war tradition, which he himself to large extend created, apparently not being able to point new directions in the fast changing world; BMW was facing strong American dominated competition and was searching for its own imago, the decision was to build upon tradition; Szymanowski had full support of the BMW board – the parallel prototype of BMW 501 ordered in 1949 at Pininfarina was rejected – there was fear that its modern features will quickly age – at the time BMW chose to look classic,

Szymanowskis decision to keep the traditional BMWgrillekidneys corresponded with the trend in American car designs of the time (Buick), but became crucial for the identity of the brand

prototype of the BMW 501 body made by Reutter with the characteristic grille and a centrally placed third lamp Peter Szymanowski himself and the drawings from the poque of his baroque beauty – BMW 501

American designer Albrecht von Goertz was a son of a German aristocrat (his full name: Albrecht Graf von Schlitz gen. von Grtz und von Wrisberg) and Elsa Meyer – a Jewish mother, Goertz spent his youth at the family estate near Hanover in Lower Saxony; he first worked as a bank clerk in Germany and when Hitler raged his Nazi anti-semitic policies, Albrecht von Goertz decided to leave Germany (his Jewish mother was later deported to Theresienstadt – the Nazi organized city concentration camp, but survived the war); Goertz first went to England, but in 1936 he decided to leave London for the US, he settled in LA, at first doing simple factory and car repair jobs, at the same time creating in 1939 his first car:Paragon- a hand made concept car based upon Mercury – Goertzs automobile was presented at the NY World Exhibition in 1939

in 1940 Goertz enlisted the US Army, after the WWII and the service in the Pacific (1940-1945), he studied at Pratt Institute; he then drew attention of the designer giant Raymond Loewy (see below), with whom he worked for Studebaker; in 1953 Goertz established himself in New York as an independent designer (Goertz Industrial Design Inc.); at an instigation of the BMW American importer and on BMWs order Goertz designed two legendary cars -BMW 503 and BMW 507, both cars because of the strength of the German mark at the time, were too expensive tosucceed on the US market

Japanese sources do not confirm his contribution for Nissan in the creation of the celebrated Datsun 240Z, nor is his Porsche 914 involvement was ever confirmed (both suggested by Wikipedia); what is certain that he designed products for several world firms and at the end of his career he designed a grand piano for Steinway & Sons produced on their 125 anniversary

classic American designer who literally designed America of the 1940s and 1950s; born in Paris as a son of an Austrian immigrant and a French mother, fought in WWI with the French getting decorated and obtaining the rank of a captain, arrived to America in 1919, naturalized in the US 1938

Loewys studio in South Bend, IN, worked at through the 1940s and 1950s for Studebaker redesigning the Champion model in 1947 (with the characteristic for Loewy rocket like spinner grill on the Champion Convertible 1952 and 1953 and with Champion Sedan 1953 (designed by Robert Bourke from Loweys Studio); among other designers von Goertz ( see above) worked for Loewy before establishing his own studio

in 1961 Loewy designed from his home studio in Palm Springs, CA, his memorable Avanti, produced only for two years (1963-1964) by Studebaker and continued later by Avanti Motors, a new firm created only to produce this car

in 1957 Loewy designed a modernized prototype of Goertzes BMW 507; the car was built for Loewys personal use in France by a small coachbuilder Carrosserie Pichon et Parat (owners: Bernard Pichon and AndrParat) in Sens, Burgundy; coachbuilders known at the time for their unique French cars body versions as Panhard Tigre andSalmson 2300; Loewys prototype of BMW 507 was later donated by him to the collection ofThePetersen Automotive Museum, LA, CA, where it still can bee seen today

Loewy and Bourke in South Bend , Indiana in 1953 (picture fromHistorical Findings) sketch for Studebaker Avanti , March 1961, by Loewy auctioned in June of 2012 byBonhams Studebaker Avanti – a drawing by Loewy from 1961 and the car itself withLoewy on the left and Sherwood Egbert, Studebakers President on the right -picture from Avanti Source; BMW 507 by Raymond Loewy US patent for the Loewys BMW 507 Loewy with his BMW in the Saint Tropez (France) yacht harbor

an Italian engineer, born in Desio in Lombardy (Northern Italy) as a son of a wealthy lumber trader; as a young man he had a passion for motorcycle, car and boat racing winning some races, in 1939 Renzo Rivolta established a company in Genoa producing fridges and heaters called Iso Thermo; in 1942 he decided to move the firm to an estate in a smaller city of Bresso near Milan, because of the war and the Allies bombardments of then fascist Italy; successful in his business, after the war Rivolta went to produce motorcycles as Iso Moto and later also small cars in the companyrenamed asIso Autoveicoli S.p.A.(1953)

in 1950 Renzo Rivolta designed and patented a small car, which he started to produce in 1953 as Iso Isetta; BMW looking at the time for a design of a small car, which would use BMW reliable motorcycle engines decided the same year to purchase Rivoltas design and from April 1955 started to produce first BMW Isettas

mass produced Isettas preceded BMW 700 and were important as the construction which changed the whole philosophy at BMW – fromclassic and luxurioustomobile and reliable; since then, the philosophy ofmobilitybecame one of the BMW underlining themes

Renzo Rivolta went to produce more cars – today the Iso Rivolta GT and Grifo sports cars (designed for Rivolta by Giotto Bizzarini with the body by Bertone, designed by Marcello Gandini) remain memorable; Renzo Rivolta died suddenly of heart attack on August 19, 1966; his son Piero Rivolta continued fathers work

Renzo Rivolta and his patent drawing of Isetta Rivolta (on the right) in his Iso Isetta, Isetta racing in Mille Miglia in 1953 and in 1954 Iso Rivoltta badge on the cars upholstery

German designer born in Stadthagen (Lower Saxony), trained as mechanical engineer; Hofmeister was at first the collaborator of Szymanowski, later became the BMW chiefdesigner himself (1955-1970); Hofmeister influenced formation of the new BMW design philosophy, he was one of the creators of the BMWNeue Klasse (New Class,1961) -technically new, modern, fast, sports sedan, which changed the automotive industry for decades; his innovative BMW 2000 C (1965), where he continued Bertones ideas, was unjustly criticized at the time as agreenhousewhile the cars lamps were calledAsian eyes; Hofmeister retired from BMW in May of 1977.

more a skilful manager than a stylist in the times when all things produced requiredtechnical drawings made by hand by draughtsmen, Wilhelm Hofmeister was memorized for the characteristic design of the side window at the C-pillar – so calledHofmeisterss kink(German:Hofmeisters knick). It had been shown for the first time in 1961 on the BMW 3200 CS, so most likely it was designed by Bertone; nonetheless itis today attributed to Hofmeister:Hofmeisterss kink- a characteristic design of the C-pillar has been repeated in all BMW cars and remains today one of the important elements of the BMWs body design.

Hofmeister with the model of the BMW 2500/2800 Hofmeister, Fritz Fiedler, Eberhard Wolf and Alex von Falkenhausen – creators of the Neue Klasse at the BMW 1500 in 1961 BMW 1500 – first car of the Neue Klasse shown for the first time in Franfurt in 1961, produced from 1962 so called

on BMW 2000 C – BMW technical drawing from 1964 prototype of the Hofmeister kink: American design of Dodge Kaiser from 1951 Hofmeister kink

Italian designer born in Turin, Michelotti began his career as an apprentice with Carozzeria Farina in Cambiano (today Pininfarina S.p.A.); Michelotti opened his own studio in Turin in 1949:Studio Technico e Carrozzeria G. Michelotti, Torinowas located at Corso Francia 28, while Michelottis car body workshop in suburb of Turin Orbassano; in 1950s Michelotti worked for several other Italian design studios working closely with Alfredo Vignale, owner ofCarrozzeria Alfredo Vignale(est. 1948 – closed 1974, although name Vignale has been given also to later cars)as well as with Bertone and Ghia;Michelotti was known for his daring designs for Triumph (as Spitfire and TR4); working closely at BMW with Wilhelm Hofmeister, Michelotti designed BMW 600 (Isetta development), a small sports car BMW 700 and in 1958 BMW 3200 Vignale – a prototype of modernized and cheaper version of BMW 507 presented on 31 of Oct. 1959 in Turin and called today BMW 3200 Michelotti Vignale, the cars still exists

the most important Michelottis contributions to the BMWs tradition were: a two door version of the New Class BMW 1600 (1600-2, later 1602)and the revolutionary in its aestheticsBMW 2002 (although this credit is now disputed, with some historians pointing at Georg Bertram as the one who drew the car for Hofmeister); both cars were essential for positioning of BMW on the market as the sports cars manufacturer; Michelotti also designeda first BMW station car called from now on traditionally atouring

a prolific designer (a legend goes that he would have a design within one night) Michelotti designed also cars for DAF, Ferrari, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Reliant Scimtar and Volvo

BMW 700 Michelottis drawing for the new BMW 507 (1957), so called later 3200 Michelotti Vignale a blue print drawing by Michelotti (for a Volvo PV 444 sports version) Michelottis logo

from famous German military family, Alex (Alexander) Freiherr von Falkenhausen studied at Munich Technical University (1928-1934), was involved as an engineer before the WWII in the development of the BMW 328 and most of BMW motorcycles of that time whilst he was an avid motorcycle racer himself; after the WWII he established his own sports racing firm in Munich:AFM – Alex von Falkenhausen Motorenbau, where he tuned pre-war BMW 328 for car racing wining himself in 1948 German Sports Car Championship; a skilled constructor and the racing fanatic Falkenhausen returned to BMW in 1954 and from 1957 was the head of the engine development, Falkenhausen although never was a stylist was instrumental in the creation of the so calledNeue Klasse- New Classleading the team which prepared the power train for the car,he is also credited for his contribution into the construction of the BMW 2800 CS (E9 -1971), Falkenhausen retired in 1976

von Falkenhausen and BMW 502 ca. 1955, picture: BMW Historical Archive as a racing driver in 1949

German stylist working at BMW, the co-designer with Manfred Rennen under Wilhelm Hofmeister of the so calledNeue Klasse (New Class)-compact sports saloons launched by BMW in 1962, with the BMW 1500 as the first car, Bertram worked also with Rennen and Michelotti on BMW 2002 and 2002 touring; he is often credited with the first drawing of BMW 2002; Bertram also designed the BMWs first concept of the touring car (van) calledCity

classic Italian designer, born as Giuseppe Bertone in Turin where he spent all his life, Bertone began his automotive career in car racing as a driver at the same time working for his fathers small coach firm, which he later took over and turned i